HISTORY

Originally called Cadyville, the town of Snohomish was established

 when white settlers staked claims at the confluence of the Pilchuck and Snohomish Rivers

in the late 1850s.    The first move to provide fire protection was taken in 1883 with the installation of a force pump along the river bank with 100 feet of hose.

By July 1888 the city had a system of water lines, and serious consideration was given to establish an organized fire company.   In August of 1888 an official volunteer department was organized with a hose cart and 1000 feet of hose, paid for by citizen donations.

In December of 1890 the city purchased a steam fire pumper.

The pumper cost $4,200 and is on display in the lobby of Station 43,

our Headquarters Station.

screenshot steamer_edited.jpg

Fire fighting methods and the needs of the Snohomish Community
have changed greatly since 1890.   
Here are some highlights of the journey:

1905 Dept. Photo.jpg
1911 Chief Art Hendric_edited.jpg

1911

The first motorized wagon for carrying

fire equipment was purchased by the City.

1927

Fire Station

at 2nd and Avenue A

completed.

1958

FIrefighters received individual radios to call them to fires.

1981

Aid Car purchased from BIckfor Motors.

1985

First Chaplaincy

for Fire Department.

2003

City of Snohomish annexed into Snohomish County Fire Protection District and  property for Ray Lee Brown Training Facility dedicated.

2011

Ray Lee Brown Traning Facility completed.

2020

Outbreak of COVID-19 necessitates widespread use of face masks, vaccinations, social distancing and alternative public education strategies.

1920

The old bell and Cascade Mill whistle alarms were replaced with an electric siren to announce fires.

1938

Traffic light installed at 2nd & A to allow fire engines to respond to calls more safely.

1965

Commissioners agree District will pay for the cost of fire hydrants and person asking for the hydrant will pay the cost of installation.

1981

Aid Car purchased from BIckfor Motors.

1990

Stations 40  and 42 were built.

2007

Advanced Life Support Paramedics added to

District Staff.

2014

FIre Crews return to

Station 42

after extensive roof repairs.

2021

Discussions begin

on the feasibility of a

Regional Fire Authority

with Everett Fire.

1925

Talks began to replace the "Fire Shed"  on Avenue A with

an actual building.

1942

Snohomish Fire Protection District established by vote of the people, and 3 fire commissioners elected.

1973

Snohomish joined the COunty Dispatch network in March.

1984

Station 43 was built.

1995

Station 41 built.

2009

Two new ambulances purchased by the District.

2020

Fire Chief Ron Simmons retires and new Cheif Don Waller

is appointed.

1935 Department Photo_edited.jpg
10-3-33 Lions and Fire Dept._Page_1.jpg

1933

5-21-60  Snohomish High School Fire.jpg

1960 High School Fire

1956 Mel's Service Station.jpg

1956 Mel's Service Station

1960s Department Photo_edited.jpg
1-3-74  Mill Fire.jpg

1974    Mill Fire

1984 Department Photo.jpg

1984

Steamer 1950s Parade.jpg

1950    Parade

2-18-77 Wholesale Truss photo 2.jpg

1977 Wholesale Truss

1911

Logo4 copy.png

Snohomish County Fire District #4

Tel: 360-568-2141       Fax: 360-568-2143   1525 Avenue D, Snohomish 98290